Are you a soup fan? I go for weeks eating soups as my lunch at home. Something about the warmth & often something spicy just makes me happy. It can also really help with weight loss & making us feel more full! This recipe was adapted from the Poached Chicken with Bok Choy in Ginger Broth recipe from Martha Stewart Clean Slate Cookbook, p. 232. I’m in love with the recipe overall but I subbed in some flavors & ingredients I almost always have on hand. This is an easy one that is sure to please & adjust for anyone wanting to use up some ingredients!
If you haven’t noticed by now, I’m a huge fan of Asian-influenced cuisine. I grew up on it in southern California & many of my favorite dishes are from recipes close to my heart. Thai basil & mint are found in quite a few of my recipes & on my Instagram posts (follow me here for recipe sneak peeks & such!) because I almost always have those on hand for some of my favorite dishes. I’ve begun incorporating them more & more to use them up & pep up dishes I already love. In this soup in particular, the ginger marries well with the Thai basil along with basically any kind of veggies or protein. Sliced green onions, garlic chili paste, or additional chilies for garnish also make this very customize-able. If you have small children I recommend not adding the chilies to the broth & stirring them in at the end to spice up your own meal without burning tiny mouths. I tend to eat food a bit hotter than Ryan so in the end is where I often kick things up a bit!
- 4.5 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups water
- 1.5 inch piece fresh ginger, roughly sliced
- 2 Thai chilies, minced
- ½ cup basil leaves, whole
- 2 chicken breasts, 10-12 ounces whole
- 1 cup mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup greens, Asian, bok choy, or even spinach as seen here
- 1 large carrot, very thinly sliced into noodles or strips
- ½ cup bamboo shoots, sliced into noodles or strips
- Optional: Sliced green onions, garlic chili paste, or additional chilies for garnish. I also like a few small leaves of Thai basil because I'm crazy about it as an herb.
- Combine water, stock, ginger, chilies, & basil in a pot on medium heat. Bring to a boil then reduce to a gentle simmer. Add whole chicken breasts & poach until cooked through, about 13 to 15 minutes.
- Carefully transfer chicken breasts to a cutting board & cover to keep warm. Strain stock through a fine sieve; discard solids.
- Transfer stock back to pot & bring back to a simmer. Add mushrooms, carrots, bamboo shoots, & greens & simmer until tender, about 5 minutes.
- To serve, slice chicken & divide among serving bowls. Ladle soup over chicken & top with optional extras like green onions, extra basil, or additional chilies.
If you’re digging this recipe…stay tuned because I’ll be hosting a giveaway for the book it originated from as well! The Clean Slate: A Cookbook and Guide: Reset Your Health, Detox Your Body, and Feel Your Best by the authors of Martha Stewart Living on Amazon here. The plating I’m using here is also available over here from the Martha Stewart Collection available exclusively at Macy’s– I highly recommend it. Gorgeous, clean lines, & quite affordable! I love the way my food looks on top of it!
Tell me- what’s your favorite kind of soup? What recipes would you like to see next? & does anyone else go on soup kicks?