Want a warm, cozy meal that won’t break your healthy lifestyle? I have had a very long mission to find the perfect lasagna that isn’t so heavy but still tastes rich. Lasagna is so tasty but also has a delicate balance- & I think this is the best one yet! Plus it is super easy to put together & perfect for busy families! …
First off: My husband loves meatloaf. Mexican style, traditional, veggies packed, etc. He just loves it. Because he’ll eat just about any version I tend to stray from the run of the mill recipes. I’m not a big fan of the beef versions either, we both like the firmness & lower calorie count of the ground turkey. If you love cheeseburgers, this will be an instant hit. The best part? You can customize it just like your burger! Keep reading for my basic recipe!
from Home in High Heels
For the mini loaves (or one big one):
20 oz lean ground turkey (or chicken/beef if you like)
1 large egg
1 slice bread (slightly damp & torn into small pieces) or crackers
1 cup cheddar cheese
1/4 cup minced mushrooms (very fine)
1 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon seasoning salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
For the sauce:
4 tablespoons ketchup
2 tablespoons A1 sauce
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees or 375 if making a large single loaf.
2. Combine all ingredients mixing well with clean hands in a bowl. Make sure to incorporate any veggies you add very well so they cool evenly. I find adding cheese last is easier so it holds some shape by the end.
3. Spray your loaf pan, muffin tins, or foil your pan then top with cooking spray. Without this step, it will stick. If you skip it, you’ll lose some of the awesome sticky cheese.
4. Divide up your turkey meatloaf mixture & top with sauce recipe, reserving half.
5. If making large single loaf, cook at 375 for about an hour checking periodically. For mini meatloaves you’ll want to cook at 350 for about 30-35 minutes. Your meatloaf should not be pink in the middle.
6. Let them rest about one minute if they are in the tins then take a knife around edge. You’ll have an amazing, crispy crust thanks to the cheese.
7. Top with remaining sauce & serve!
The best part of meatloaf is turning it into a leftover parade or creating a new favorite. This is especially great if you have kids. In my experience, most kids will eat anything covered in ketchup regardless of how many veggies you manage to stuff in. If you’d like to see a veggie packed version or something spicy, I’m happy to share! We hope you enjoy it, the sauce is my husband’s favorite! Great with the steak fries too!