While I do love things flavored with pumpkin, I am most excited for squash & other comforting foods in general being in season. I just love roasting up root veggies or squash with basic ingredients. I’ll basically eat any vegetable if you roast it! Here’s a combo I’ve been making for the past few years when we pick up root veggies from the farmer’s market. Ryan isn’t a big fan or beets so this is usually a great lunch!
If you have carrots, squash, etc that you want to throw in- feel free! Just remember that these two take awhile to roast because they’re more dense!
- 1 lb. beets, peeled & cubed
- 1 lb turnips, peeled & cubed
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- salt & pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Put vegetables in a bowl.
- Whisk together the lemon juice & oil.
- Coat vegetables with the mixture, toss a bit to make sure it is even.
- Spread in a layer on a roasting pan. Top with sprinkling of salt.
- Roast for about an hour turning once.
- Remove from oven when caramelized or browned. Top with sprinkling of black pepper if desired.
What are your favorite vegetables? Are you a roast-a-holic like me? I have big plans for our next grocery shopping trip!