Breakfast isn’t just the most important meal of the day- it is also the one I have to throw together the quickest. I love options that look a lot harder than they actually are- like these eggs baked into tomatoes! This breakfast idea goes with just about anything- veggies, meats, or even homemade breads. Plus they’re super affordable!
Gorgeous runny yolks are perfect for dipping! These taste luxurious & I happened upon these tomatoes by chance. Pretty, yellow tomatoes never go on sale so this was a great find. Yum!
- 4 medium, fresh tomatoes tomatoes
- 4 eggs, large
- Salt & freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Olive oil
- Optional- fresh herbs like cilantro or basil.
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Slice off and set aside the top ¼ to ⅓ of each tomato. Scoop out the seeds. & membrane.
- Place the tomatoes on a roasting pan. Season with the salt and pepper.
- Break an egg into each tomato making sure not to damage the yolks.
- Spray each tomato & egg lightly with olive oil or drizzle if you don't have a sprayer.
- Bake for 10 minutes the rotate pan if needed. Bake for another 5-7 minutes.
- Let cool for about 3-5 minutes. Place on a plate with some toast or other breakfast goodies. Top with fresh herbs & dig in!
I posted this easy low-carb recipe today to bring some recognition to a Change.org petition advocating that the U.S. Dietary Guidelines take into consideration quality, scientific data to help combat obesity in America. America’s guidelines haven’t matched up to recent research like eggs being good for you & healthy fats being so much more than just tasty. I invite you to check out the petition here to educate yourself & use your voice to make a change!
What are your favorite healthy breakfast options? Any of them wow your guests? I’d love to hear about your favorites in the comments below!