I am 100% diving into my favorite Autumn recipes. Anything that has that warm, comforting, fall feeling…I’m all about that! Give me the pumpkin! Pass the roasted everything! & yes- whip up some soup! Here’s the most basic butternut squash soup recipe- it is vegan, vegetarian, gluten-free, paleo, & dairy free! Keep reading to check it out & some creative additions to throw on top!
Soup is one of those foods I think is personal. There will always be a certain way that someone likes their soup that someone else finds maddening. I like to have options on hand when I have dinners at my house…because some people think chili & spaghetti got together!
- 1 2-3lb. butternut squash, peeled & cubed
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil, olive oil, ghee, or unsalted butter
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 6 cups stock, vegetable or chicken
- salt & pepper to taste
- In a large pot, add your oil or butter.
- When heated, add onions to caramelize.
- When onions reach desired consistency, add in squash & stock. Cook 15-25 minutes.
- Add soup to blender & pulse until creamy. Return to pot to thicken.
- Add salt, pepper, & additional toppings if wanted & serve hot.
Love this soup but want a bit more? Let’s look at some of my favorite additions! Roasted garlic really brings in a depth of flavor- but some people are really sensitive. I roast mine beforehand & keep it to the side to add in so no one is overwhelmed. Also pictured is steamed kale, feta cheese, buttered mushrooms, green onions, & I also really love adding a bit of fresh curry powder for kick.
So there you have my dairy-free option for an easy autumn meal! Looking for more? Check out this site with tons more Thanksgiving & fall recipe ideas! Also be sure to purchase some necessities to keep on-hand for big food get togethers- like IMODIUM® A-D® Softgels which are new & available at Walmart! Be sure to prep & stock up on your next trip!
What are your favorite soups to enjoy when the autumn weather finally settles in? What do you top your squash soups with? Tel me all about it in the comments below!